Alright, you confident creators! What is your Earth Day commitment?
First you might be asking, what is that? Well, its a tradition around here that we add to our eco conscious living choices by committing to one more earth friendly action. It could be anything from switching from paper towels to reusable cloths or it could be replacing your grocery store plastic veggie bags with washable reusable ones. Whatever you decide I hope it brings you pride and that little spark you get from being part of the solution.
(And p.s. - if you are reading this well after Earth Day, then there is nothing wrong with starting now!)
This year we are going to bring back our veggie composting and this time I won't let it mold on my counter! Today I am establishing the plan for this composting, including a timeline of how to get it done. Since we just planted some veggies in a barrel on the patio, the timing couldn't be better for this quick and easy change.
Below are a few ideas to consider. Let me know your ideas in the comments, or if you have decided on a new environmentally friendly plan of action!
IDEAS FOR EARTH DAY COMMITMENTS
- Get rid of the paper towels and use any environmentally friendly option (there are a bunch!)
- Get a basket and fill it with absorbent scrap material like cut up old dishtowels
- Find a washable version of paper towels on Etsy (they even go on a rod for convenient use!) lmk if you want a link
- Bamboo (or any kind of eco-conscious) sponges
- Replace all the bulbs in your house with LED light bulbs (http://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-energy-efficient-light-bulbs.html)
- Plant a tree
- Start a home garden
- Schedule a cleanup of your nearby natural wonder (sadly trash is not just on the beaches, but everywhere humans gather)
- Get a reusable water bottle and skip the expensive, trash producing, unhealthy soda/coffee cycle
- Switch to package free snacks like fruit or bulk items you put in your own glass containers - or in my case, used spaghetti sauce and jelly jars ;). You could start by just doing one "package free snack week". Then make it once a week every month, and on and on.
- Switch any household cleanser to the organic version. Dish soap is an easy place to start. The more advanced among you might be ready to switch your whole house cleaning to something like Branch Basics.
This particular Earth Day has the theme of "Protect Our Species" to combat the habitat destruction that impacts our beautiful Earth diversity and threatens endangered species and all of us. That is a big one for individual changes which is why these little changes add up over time. But if you'd like to make an impact related to the theme, please consider making a donation to any of the organizations working to keep our planet safe for animals, plants and us!!
There are so many easy and rewarding things to do this Earth Day and every day!! I'm so excited for you to try something new.